Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Aquarium Quandary




I have loved tropical fish since the dawn of time. I had freshwater tanks since I was a kid and had three tanks going simultaneously when Biz and I were first married. Then we stopped running a tank for various reasons that are not important here.

Biz pulled a great big surprise for Christmas this year and got a used, nice 30-gallon tank with a stand for me! I was thrilled, but it brings with it a quandary. Cichlids or Black Ghost Knife Fish? They are both awesome fish, but not compatible because the cichlids are mildly to very aggressive and the ghost knife fish is not. Here are some visuals and thoughts.

Black Ghost Knife Fish

Cichlids

There are hundreds of kinds of cichlids. Here are a few of my favorites.

Julidochromis marlieri


Frontosa


Lemon (or Electric) Yellow



Numerous cichlids.

And there are many more that I can't remember names of at the moment.

So, I need to decide which way to go, Black Ghost Knife Fish, or a variety of cichlids. Your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Don't get the knife fish, they spend most of their time hiding under a rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The knife fish looks cool, but I like the variety of color in the cichlids. I vote a variety of cichlids. :)

    ReplyDelete